Additional contact information available upon request
I wish to expand upon my current roles by employing my writing and/or journalistic skills in a field with those who share my enthusiasm. I am especially interested in the video games and publishing industries and duties in the realm of journalism, public relations and copyediting.
Assistant News Editor, Dunkirk Observer
September 2007 to Present; Dunkirk, NY
Composed layouts of pages — including front page, local sections and weekly topical pages — for daily newspaper publication on a scheduled basis. Primarily responsible for daily layout and editing of business/weather page and related communications with local businesspeople. Covered and typed stories concerning local events and features, with focus on hospitals, schools and Gowanda, NY area. Delegated assignments to team of seven staff writers as necessary and offered constructive feedback on their work. Proofread and edited submissions from staff and third parties to optimize for publication. Updated newspaper website as appropriate with breaking news or features. I have been a go-to person in promoting satisfaction and efficiency for our staff and customers.
Staff Writer, Dunkirk Observer
September 2005 to September 2007; Dunkirk, NY
Primarily covered and typed events, meetings and features on a local beat, taking upon additional assignments as necessary. Proofread and edited writing submissions as needed. Presided over obituaries on Sundays, taking calls, writing and editing submissions and managing the computerized system to ensure proper and correct billing. Was promoted to newly-created Assistant News Editor position in September 2007.
Receptionist, Law Offices of Musacchio & Pyle
August 2005 to July 2006; Gowanda, NY
Managed daily office functions including document preparation, composition and filing. Answered phones and responded to needs of clients, court officials and others.
Bachelor of Arts, English, Niagara University
GPA: 3.96/4.00; Minors in Communications, Writing Studies and Sociology
– Focus on literature, media writing, collaborative editing, business writing, freelance and feature writing and photography.
– Member of Sigma Tau Delta English honor society and Delta Epsilon Sigma national scholastic honor society.
– Editor of Niagara Index student newspaper for four years.
– Conducted volunteer work with group to compose child abuse policy for local church.
– Experienced with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Express, Quark XPress, OpenOffice, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
– Typing speed: ~80 WPM
– Comfortable and proficient in both professional and informal writing styles.
– Knowledgeable in AP style.
– Submitter, associate editor for LeftStickRight, a video game review/industry analysis site.